The position of Legal Counsel provides advice and assistance to management, the Senior Legal Counsel, and others in managing those daily issues that have legal impact on the MoneyGram business. The incumbent will be responsible for providing comprehensive commercial, corporate and regulatory legal advice across multiple jurisdictions – primarily the United States and Canada - to designated business development teams and corporate business units as appropriate.
- Provide timely, concise and business focused legal advice on remittance and payments law, including federal and state consumer financial laws and regulations such as Regulation E, consumer protection laws, and other guidance from regulatory agencies.
- Supports the line manager by assisting in the provision of general commercial, corporate and regulatory advice across designated teams.
- Assists in the negotiation, drafting and amendment of agreements for potential Agents across multiple jurisdictions in conjunction with the relevant business teams.
- Assists in the review and negotiation of all other contractual arrangements of the group.
- Advises the Company on legal and regulatory matters, in conjunction with local counsel, related to the provision of MoneyGram services in each of its applicable jurisdictions.
- Obtains advice, performs research and drafts memoranda on legal aspects of the roll-out of new products and the development of new distribution channels.
- Collaborates closely with the Compliance department in ensuring the provision of MoneyGram services are made in accordance with Anti-Money Laundering, Dodd Frank, BSA, USA Patriot Act, OFAC Rules, FINRA Rules, Reg. E and state money services regulations as required in the relevant jurisdictions.
- Effectively instructs and manages outside counsel.
- Assists in the development of internal procedures, best practices and compilation of precedents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable.
- Minimum Required: Appropriate legal qualification and admission to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years' experience functioning as an attorney in a law firm or as in-house legal counsel.
- Extensive FinTech experience.
- Strong team player and excellent communication skills.
- Independent thinking skills.
- Ability to effectively handle conflict and stressful situations.
- Strong organizational skills; demonstrated ability to handle multiple and changing tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in contract drafting and negotiation.
- Familiarity with common law principles of contract law.
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills, able to influence and persuade in decision making processes both internally and externally.
- Ability to work with key business partners and put legal analysis in its proper commercial context in order to maximize business results for all parties.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a collegial team with some direct supervision, within company guidelines and department policies.
- Ability to draft clear, professional and legally robust correspondence, contractual documentation, policies and other documentation.
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships both internally and externally at all levels.
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse and changing environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and/or sensitive business information.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite of packages - Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in the following areas: cross-border transactions, financial services regulations, management of outside counsel would be highly advantageous.
- Fluency in a second language would be advantageous.
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have not recently viewed any jobsView All Jobs