The Legal Specialist is responsible for providing professional legal support service to attorneys in the form of legal research, drafting of legal and business communications, and assisting in the file preparation for trial. The incumbent will co-ordinate correspondence with outside counsel on legal projects and may design, develop, and maintain law department databases and filing systems. The incumbent is also responsible for successfully negotiating outside counsel fees, which may include flat fees, contingency and/or hourly fees to be assessed by the assigned attorney. Additional responsibilities include incurring/approving legal statements and court costs associated with each file, and advising management of any discrepancies.
- Performs legal research, as needed, on matters involving negotiable instruments, privacy laws, employment laws, and other areas as directed by attorneys.
- Compiles data from legal digests, encyclopedias and practice manuals.
- Assists counsel in responding to customer complaints and small claim cases and matters.
- Supports counsel with legal hold and discovery processes and procedures, including managing e-discovery.
- Assembles, proofs and edits drafts of contracts, documents, leases, licenses and insurance policies.
- Prepares and files legal documents with appropriate entities, as required.
- Assists internally in analyzing documents. Counsels on progress of cases.
- May review and ensure the company's compliance with regulations.
- May assist with the review and preparation of patent material and applications.
- Performs other duties and/or projects as assigned.
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable.
- Minimum Required: Bachelor's degree or paralegal certificate
- 4-9 years' experience providing paralegal support in a law firm or corporate legal preferred.
- E-discovery experience dealing with the collection and culling of electronically stored information.
- Experience in collections or banking/financial services environment, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to perform legal research and summarize or catalogue findings.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to draft discovery requests and responses, non-disclosure agreements, other legal and business correspondence and documents.
- Experience working with outside counsel, reviewing bills, etc.
- Strong organizational skills demonstrated through good time management, record keeping and follow-up.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast paced, deadline driven culture and to independently prioritize workload.
- Ability to identify when escalation is necessary.
- Proven ability to adapt positively and drive change.
- Demonstrated analytical skills � ability to find, evaluate risk-based information from internal and external sources and make sound decisions.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally and collaboratively with others.
- Experience working with highly confidential information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel - Serengeti Tracker, Relativity, and TransPerfect, preferred.
Previously Viewed Jobs
You have not recently viewed any jobsView All Jobs