As a member of MoneyGram’s IT team, you’ll work on a variety of engaging and innovative projects. We are a global company which provides very marketable experience working in a global environment, looking at the internationalization of working in the digital areas of the business, becoming exposed to managing risk/privacy, and adhering to GDPR and all global security guidelines. We operate with a scrum model, so our teams gain a strong understanding of the business, finance, and risk components related to their work. Working in Financial Technology offers the opportunity to broadly impact products that are used.
Senior Java Developer
What are the qualifications that will help you achieve success at MoneyGram?
- Growth Mindset
“What drew me to MoneyGram was the opportunity to work in an entirely different vertical—Financial Services, and to leverage my technical background and knowledge. I’ve learned to be successful at MoneyGram, collaboration is key. It is much easier to be successful and productive working together cross functionally than it is to work within a singular team. Different perspectives, skillsets and objectives will create better solutions in the long run.”Veronica Larson, Head of IT Service Management
How MoneyGram Works
Send Money Online.
Learn More >
Send money to bank accounts & mobile wallets.
Learn More >
Paid Time Off
Paid Maternity Leave
Employee Assistance Program
Money Transfer Fee Reimbursement
Community Service Days
Business Travel Accident Insurance
MoneyGram supports ongoing professional development through continued education and on-the-job experience.
The Java Developer serves as a technical consultant to provide and support software applications that meet or exceed business needs. The Java Developer must be capable of working on computer programs that are complex in nature; is familiar with a variety of the fields concepts, practices, and procedures; and performs a variety of complex applications development related tasks with little guidance from others. The Java Developer is expected to proactively contribute and offer recommendations.
- Engages with system users and business analysts to identify system enhancements and/or new applications to meet business needs.
- Actively contributes to the development of solutions and ideas that add value.
- Develops elegant and simple solutions.
- Experience working on Business to Consumer Development.
- Provides support during meetings as required; prepares and takes dictation, minutes, agendas, notices and manages mailings of meeting agendas and supporting materials.
- Produces code of high quality and reliability - strong quality code metrics.
- Effectively performs code walk-throughs. In conjunction with Quality Services.
- Proactively performs extensive system testing to ensure that the systems work efficiently and are developed following the applicable development methodology.
- Must have experience with Java, Apache, Tomcat, Spring MVC, Web Services, Unit Testing, etc.
- Creates Unit tests to ensure accuracy. Tracks record of identifying largest risk areas and driving resolution of these issues.
- Provides accurate and timely input regarding status of technical tasks.
- Ensures project goals make sense and overall development objectives are being met.
- Designs and develops high quality, scalable and efficient solutions and products on schedule
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable.
- Minimum Required: Bachelor of Science in computer science or a related technical field, or equivalent combination of post-secondary education and work experience
Required Experience & Skills
- 4-6 years of increasingly responsible systems development experience on multiple platforms
- 4-6 years’ experience in the development environment commensurate with the assigned area of responsibility
- Experience with complex, enterprise web development
- Experience working in an Agile / Scrum methodology
- Demonstrated ability to gather requirements, design and develop systems
- Ability to track record of designing and developing high quality, scalable and efficient solutions and products on schedule
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead requirements gathering, design and development of complex systems
- Knowledge of proper architectural disciplines
- Ability to accurately identify root cause of technical problems
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written
- Ability to adapt to change
- Strong negotiation and/or influential skills
- Ability to influence others to ensure that issues which have been raised are resolved
- Excellent problem-solving skills – able to think through likely cause of problems before referring to others.
- Team focused approach for handling daily activities; Strong teammate.
- Experience with Intellij, RAD, & STS
- Experience with implementing a microservices architecture
- Knowledge / Experience with PL/SQL
- Experience with Java 11
- Experience with Java 8, Apache, Tomcat, and Spring MVC
- Experience with RESTful Web Services, preferred
- Experience with Unit Testing (JUnit, Mockito, Groovy)