Sr Legal Specialist
Paid Time Off
Paid Maternity Leave
Employee Assistance Program
Money Transfer Fee Reimbursement
Community Service Days
Business Travel Accident Insurance
MoneyGram supports ongoing professional development through continued education and on-the-job experience.
The Senior Legal Specialist is responsible for providing professional legal support to attorneys in various forms, including but not limited to, legal research, drafting of legal and business communications, assisting in projects, internal translations, and contract management and tracking. The incumbent will coordinate correspondence with outside counsel on legal projects and may design, develop, and maintain law department databases and filing systems. The incumbent may also be responsible for successfully assisting in negotiating outside counsel fees, which may include flat fees, contingency and/or hourly fees to be assessed by the assigned attorney. Additional responsibilities include incurring/approving legal statements and court costs associated with each matter and advising management of any discrepancies.
- Performs legal research, as needed, on matters involving negotiable instruments, applicable laws, and other areas as directed by attorneys.
- Assists counsel in responding to cases and matters.
- Coordinates with other departments to provide feedback on contractual and/or regulatory matters, as applicable.
- Assembles, proofs and edits drafts of contracts, documents, forms, and policies.
- Prepares and files legal documents with appropriate entities or business clients, as required.
- Assists internally in analyzing documents.
- Counsels on progress of cases.
- Assists in preparing status update reports and tracking progress of matters.
- May review and ensure the company's compliance with regulations.
- May assist with the review and preparation of applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Any combination of relevant education and experience and/or related professional designations/certifications in this field is highly desirable
- Minimum Required: Bachelor's degree or paralegal certificate preferred
- 8-12 years' combined experience providing paralegal support in a law firm and corporate legal department preferred.
- Experience in collections or banking/financial services environment, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to perform legal research and summarize or catalogue findings.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to draft responses to requests and contractual agreements, and other legal and business correspondence and documents.
- Experience working with outside counsel, reviewing bills, etc.
- Strong organizational skills demonstrated through good time management, record keeping and follow-up.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a fast paced, deadline driven culture and to independently prioritize workload.
- Ability to identify when escalation is necessary.
- Proven ability to adapt positively and drive change.
- Advanced analytical skills ability to find, evaluate risk-based information from internal and external sources and make sound decisions.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work professionally and collaboratively with others.
- Experience working with highly confidential information.
- Fluent bilingual English and Spanish, required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Serengeti Tracker, preferred.